“It’s difficult to defend the West Philippine Sea against China if China is our biggest creditor.” - Justice Antonio Carpio.
1. “This is not a gift from China. It’s a loan. We [have to] repay. Why will we give up the West Philippine Sea and all the resources there when we’re only getting a loan?”.
2. “Do we want to protect the West Philippine Sea, get the gas, oil and fish for the next generation of Filipinos or are we willing to give that away in exchange for loans that we have to repay?”
3. “It’s difficult to defend the West Philippine Sea against China if China is our biggest creditor.”
4. “It would be more prudent for the Philippines to exercise its ownership claims over the West Philippine Sea than to rely on the loans from China”.
5. “The resources in the West Philippine Sea were seven times more valuable than the Philippines’ land-based resources”.
6. “It’s difficult to defend the West Philippine Sea against China … if China has a Visiting Forces Agreement with us and is allowed to enter our exclusive economic zone.”
Read more: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/157685/carpio-difficult-defend-sea-china-biggest-creditor-ph#ixzz4jJGIjtAD
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook