"x x x.
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines – A protection order – the second this year – has been issued by the Supreme Court to the family of another alleged victim of the Duterte administration’s war on drugs campaign or “Oplan Tokhang.”
In an en banc session on Tuesday, the high tribunal acted on the writ of amparo petition filed by Christina Macandog, the widow of alleged Tokhang victim Joselito Gonzales, who died of multiple gunshot wounds on July 5, 2016 during a reported encounter with policemen.
The writ for amparo is a relief granted by the court to families and relatives of victims of extrajudicial killings and enforced disappearances. Courts grant the said relief through judicial orders of protection, production, and inspection to safeguard people’s life and liberty.
The high court also barred the respondents from entering within a radius of one kilometer from the petitioner’s residence and place of work.
The high tribunal issued the temporary protection order against the following respondents:
Department of Interior and Local Government Secretary Ismael Sueño, Philippine National Police Director-General Ronald Dela Rosa
Chief Superintendent Valfrie Tabian
Senior Superintendent Adriano Enong
Superintendent Simnar Semacio Gran
Mark Riel Canilon
Several John Does from the Antipolo City Police Station Anti-Illegal Drugs Special Operations Task Force and the Rizal police’s Provincial Special Operating Unit Team
In her petition, Macandog claimed that she and her husband “were induced by respondent police officers to deal in drugs but that they decided, in mid-2016, to surrender and reform but that, before they could do the same, Cadag and Canilon threatened to kill them.”
Macandog said threat had resulted in Gonzales' slay. Fearing that she would be killed next, Macandog has gone into hiding, leaving her child behind.
In the same order, the high court ordered the Court of Appeals to immediately raffle off the case and decide on it 10 days after the case is declared submitted for decision.
Meanwhile, the high tribunal gave five working days to the respondents to make a verified return.
Last month, the high court also issued a temporary protection order barring the police from entering the homes and workplaces of the families of four garbage collectors who were killed last year in Barangay Payatas, Quezon City during an anti-illegal drug operation.
The writ of amparo was issued for Efren Murillo, who survived the said operation conducted in August 2016, and the relatives of garbage collectors Marcello Daa, Jessie Cule, Raffy Gabo, and Anthony Comendo.
x x x."