Sunday, August 26, 2012

Maria Lourdes P. A. Sereno | Inquirer Opinion

Maria Lourdes P. A. Sereno | Inquirer Opinion

"x x x.


Glance at her judicial program. But all her education, upbringing, aptitude and breaking of judicial records will be meaningless to our people unless she tenaciously reforms the judiciary and makes it transparent, accountable, excellent and trustworthy. On this, let me quote her own words when, as an aspirant for the highest judicial post, she was asked a few days ago to bare her vision and program. She said in part:

“The judiciary must regain the trust of our people, so that Congress can entrust to it the funds to make the delivery of justice efficient and their families secure. I hope to regain that trust by presenting myself as a leader worthy of trust, and my work and my life as proof that the people’s trust will not be misplaced. I am a servant of the public, and if asked to lead the judiciary, I would also be a steward of public treasures and of the lives of the men and women who made service in the judiciary their career. It would be my duty to succeed.

“To demonstrate that we in the judiciary have no skeletons to hide, if appointed, I will disclose to the public our case disposal rate; official reports on our budget and COA’s audit of our expenditures; the state of our various funds, including support funds from the donor community; and I will in consultation with the community, set key result areas with milestone dates by which we will measure our performance.

“I present 18 years of possibilities, of being able to conduct a deep search for the best and the brightest in our land, who are to be set apart as a generation of judges who will commit themselves to lives of uprightness and excellence. I am willing—through how I have lived and how I will live—by God’s grace, to be the first to be daily tested if I meet the highest standards of integrity and credibility. I am willing to be measured by the degree of sacrifice I make, by what I am willing to give up in order that a vision of a judiciary that is truly noble, upright, independent, learned and excellent in every way can become a reality.”

* * *

Comments to chiefjusticepanganiban@hotmail.com


x x x."